The start of this blog + season 6 premier of The Walking Dead = awesome stuff.
In honor of one of my favorite shows I created a cookie recipe celebrating the best character to ever grace my television: Carol Peletier. The ingredients are what I imagine would still be kicking around after the apocalypse, featuring a homemade applesauce used in place of eggs. Instead of stirring in melted chocolate like Carol, I opted to chop mine into tiny little bits and fold them into the batter. They turned out delicious with serious caramel overtones, but were a little on the sweet side. Make sure to have some coffee or milk handy while you indulge in all the cookie and zombie deliciousness!
- Crisco, 1/2 cup
- Apple sauce (preferably homemade or just use no sugar added), 1/2 cup
- Granulated sugar, 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar, 1/2 cup
- Vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon
- Instant vanilla pudding, small box
- Unlbeached flour, 1 cup
- Oats, 1 cup
- Baking soda, 1 teaspoon
- Salt, 1 teaspoon
- Hershey Milk Chocolate bar, 1/4 – chopped finely/shaved
- Cream crisco, apple sauce, sugars and vanilla extract approximately 6 minutes. Add pudding and cream an additional 2 minutes.
- Combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture in small additions until just combined, do not overmix. Fold in shaved chocolate.
- Allow these to rest in the fridge for 4-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350. Scoop dough onto unlined, ungreased baking sheet (I used my 1/8 cup measuring spoon).
- Bake 6 minutes, then rotate pan and slam down a little to flatten cookies and bake another 6 minutes.
These are Merle approved, so you know it’s legit!